South Dakota Reciprocity Agreements

South Dakota residents wishing to visit a University of Minnesota site (Twin Cities, Crookston, Duluth, Morris and Rochester) must apply to the South Dakota Board of Regents for mutual status. If you live in Minnesota (including undocumented students licensed), you are entitled to reciprocity if you attend a public university or university in South Dakota. If you live in South Dakota, you have the right to go to university or the University of Minnesota. Students enrolled in programs of study that charge the same price to all students, regardless of country of residence, are not covered by reciprocity agreements. In our awards table, you`ll find a complete list of the prize for participation at all eligible schools in Minnesota as well as at all mutual schools in North Dakota, South Dakota and Wisconsin. After your first year, provided you have earned credits on campus, your reciprocity is automatically renewed. Delays in reciprocity do not exempt you from additional billing fees. You will receive a letter of authorization from your home country if your reciprocity application has been approved. The university will be notified by your home country if your reciprocity agreement has been approved. However, if your billing does not reflect your reciprocity course, you will place your letter of authorization at a One Stop Student service centre.

If you are a student from North Dakota, South Dakota or Wisconsin, you will be charged for the accommodation. Some exceptions apply if you are a graduate of higher education or a professional student; Check the reciprocity documents available through Admissions to find out more. South Dakota is a member state of the Midwest Student Exchange Program that is a limited regional reciprocity agreement between selected Midwestern states. Advantageous tuition fees in neighbouring states are sometimes possible through reciprocity, although many restrictions apply. Many countries have programs that allow residents to attend a university in another state without having to pay extra-state tuition fees. Ask your state or the universities you are interested in about available exchange of study or reciprocity programs and apply for registration. FAFSA is generally not required for these programs. The reciprocity of teaching is not automatic. You must apply for reciprocity through the Higher Office of your country or province. You will find information and application forms with the reciprocity of your home country: South Dakota residents who wish to visit a university or community college in Minnesota do not need to apply for reciprocity.

These Minnesota institutions should automatically assign reciprocity.